Monday, September 23, 2013

Banana Bread Recipe

I got absolutely zero done in the garden today.  I did, however, finish the plans for the tiny garden shed I'm building this winter.  I need a place to store empty planters, tools, organic fertilizers, etc.  It is based on plans I found online for a garden shed made from 2x2s and cedar fence pickets.  The original plans can be found here.  I'm following the guts of the plans but cutting the size, roughly, in half.  It's not built to last an eternity, but perfect for my needs and budget friendly.  It will be placed up against the fence in the back of the garden.  Being clad in the same fence pickets will help it (hopefully) blend in and not catch the attention of anyone (cough-HOA) who might also know that the bylaws state any outbuildings must be pre approved and match exactly the same materials and colors of the house.  I'm sorry, but a 2'x4' concrete block with painted stucco finish and architectural asphalt shingles seems a bit ridiculous.  Rather, I would love it to have the cedar picket siding, a little stained glass window with flower box and a blue door.  Definitely a blue door.  Like a tiny English cottage.  Guess I was inspired by all the beautiful places I saw in Wales.  A lot to ask from an 8 square foot garden (closet) shed that needs to blend in, but I'm sure I can make it work.

So, in addition to taking a few minutes to resize the plans, I finally got the banana bread done that I planned to make on Friday.  I had extra bananas so ended up making three loaves and sending one home with my mother in law.  My house smells so yummy!  

As promised, here is the recipe.  If you are looking for a healthy, low fat, naturally sweetened banana bread, I can assure you, this is not it.  This version contains both oil and real butter, both white and brown sugars and sour cream to boot!  It's a combination of a few recipes I saw online along with my own tweaks.  Hope you like it.  As you can see from the picture, I prefer big chunks of walnuts and bananas in my bread, but you can mash and chop more finely, if that is your preference.  You can also use all butter or all oil, and all white sugar or all brown sugar.  I findthe combinations of each give it the texture and color I like, but, hey, it's banana bread and almost impossible to mess up.



 
 
 
Sour Cream Banana Bread
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup oil
¼ cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 bananas)
½ cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup walnuts (optional)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour bottom only of a loaf pan.  I use a one pound pan.
In large bowl, beat together: sugars, butter and oil.
Add eggs, bananas, sour cream and vanilla; blend well.
In separate bowl:  Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.  Sift flour, baking soda and salt.  Make sure salt is mixed in well.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Add walnuts, if desired, and stir to incorporate.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes (adjust time if using a smaller or larger pan) or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely, or eat warm. Makes 1 loaf.
I have read to wrap it up and store in the fridge, but it never lasts long enough, in my house, to put away!
Thanks for reading!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment